9.03.2009

Day 3

Today is one of those days you wake up and break your juice glass and you know that's not the end of it. The forces seemed against me so I was taking it slow. Trying to get thru the day with minimal damage. Woke up late, caught up on email, watched some Lost with Dave, reorganized the van a bit and took the dogs back down to Bear River for a swim and a run. Allison tried to get me to stay another night but I just wanted to hit the road.

 
  
 


Headed out for Jackson Hole just as the sun was setting. At about 10:00 pm and 15 miles outside of Jackson Hole a full size doe decided to try and cross the highway. No choice but to steer into her and end her life. She got wrapped up in the grill of the van for some yards and then fell to the side in pieces. I pulled over to call road side assistance but the cell didn't have service because of the surrounding mountains. I figured worse case, I sleep there for the night. I decided to get out of the van to access the damage and try and pull the doe off the road. A man in a big truck named Travis pulled over and decided to help me out. Then another guy named Ewan pulled over to help too. I love cowboy country! All the guys come equipped with huge car jacks, big dules, winches, headlamps and good old boy attitudes. So the guys got the doe off the road. Then changed my front tire. The bumper was pushed way under the van and had cut the tire up so Travis chained up the bumper and pulled it out with his winch so I could at least get the van into Jackson. I offered the guys a bottle of Murphys wine for their trouble but being polite Wyoming gentlemen they refused any payment and were almost insulted by it.

 
 


I drove the rest of the way into Jackson and decided I had enough of this day. I parked the van in a dirt lot, crawled in the back and went to sleep. Today was a good reminder of how things can just change in an instant and how fragile life actually is. So pull your special ones close and let them know how loved they are because you never know what is around the next corner. Love to all! Tomorrow is another day!

1 comment: